Posted in E-News on 25. May, 2012
âAmazing Spider-Manâ: Six minutes to screen before âMen in BlackÂ 3â
Six minutes of âThe Amazing Spider-Manâ will screen before âMen in Black IIIâ in IMAX 3D theaters, Sony announced Tuesday.
The Andrew Garfield-starring reboot of the Spidey film franchise has been the topic of much anticipation and criticism, with some fans looking forward to Peter Parkerâs reappearance on the big screen and others defending Sam Raimiâs Tobey Maguire-starring trilogy, which wrapped up only five years ago.
The new film, which hits theaters July 3, is directed by Marc Webb (â500 Days of Summerâ), and stars Emma Stone as love interest Gwen Stacy, Denis Leary as her father, NYPD Capt. George Stacy, and Rhys Ifans as villain Dr. Curt Connors, also known as the Lizard.
The âSpider-Manâ trailer, released in February, features some very un-â500 Days of Summerâ-like set pieces and in true reboot fashion, promises âthe untold story.â
Meanwhile, âMen in Black IIIâ revives a franchise that hasnât seen the big screen in a decade. The time-travel flick takes Will Smithâs Agent J back to the 1960s and features a slew of retro-inspired aliens. The film opens this weekend.
Credit & thanks : Los Angeles Times : Noelene Clark
Movie Projector: ‘Men in Black 3′ debut to take out ‘Avengers’
“Men in Black 3″ will knock “The Avengers” from the No. 1 box office spot this weekend. (Wilson Webb / Sony Pictures / May 24, 2012)
The Men in Black are invading theaters this weekend with a mission that others have failed to achieve: knock “The Avengers” offÂ the No. 1 box-office perch.
In the U.S. and Canada, the film is expected to generate about $80 million over the four-day holiday period from Friday through Monday, said people who have seenÂ pre-release tracking surveys.
That would be aboutÂ twice as much as “The Avengers” is likely to generate over the weekend, dropping it to the likely runner-up spot with roughly $40 million.
Disney and Marvel’s heretofore unstoppable hit has so far racked up a stunning $1.2-billion worldwide grossÂ since its debut three weeks ago.
A Sony spokesman said he expected “Men In Black 3″ to have aÂ worldwide opening of about $200 million.
The Culver City studio spent nearly $250 million to produce the sequel, along with partner Hemisphere Media Capital, making it one of the most expensive releases of the year. The production of “MIB3,” which took place from fall 2009 to spring 2010, was marred by problems with script rewrites prompting a three-month delay in shooting.
In addition, the studios’ marketing team faced the challenge of reviving interest in a series that hasn’t been seen on the big screen since 2002, when the poorly received “Men in Black 2″ was released. That movie grossed $442 million worldwide, considerably less than 1997’s original “Men in Black,” which collected $589 million.
But all indications are that the marketing campaign for the latest installment has clicked. Will Smith’s promotional appearances on talk shows including “Good Morning America” andÂ “The Late Show with David Letterman” over the last couple of weeks helped spur a detectable growth in audience interest, said one person who has seen survey data.
The movie’sÂ domestic opening looks to be healthy, though nowhere close to theÂ Memorial Day weekend record of $140 million set by “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” in 2007.
Overseas, “MIB3″Â will be helped by the worldwide popularity of Smith and foreign audiences’ interest in 3-D. Sony flew the movie’s cast around the globe for premieres in Seoul, Moscow, Paris, London, Berlin and Madrid, as well as New York City.
The film opens this weekend in 102 foreign countries and is expected to be particularly popular inÂ suchÂ fast-growing markets as Russia and China. In China it will premiere on approximately 6,000 3-D screens under a new and more advantageous financial formula that allows the Hollywood studios to keep up to 25% of box office revenue.
If “Men in Black 3″ debuts as well as expected, it should ultimately gross more than $700 million globallyÂ and be the summer season’s first blockbuster since “The Avengers,” coming after the big-budget dudsÂ “Dark Shadows” andÂ “Battleship.”
Also opening this weekend is the low-budget horror movie “The Chernobyl Diaries,” which Warner Bros. is releasing for partner Alcon Entertainment. Alcon acquired distribution rights earlier this year to the film, which is produced byÂ “Paranormal Activity” director Oren Peli.
It’s expected to have a soft opening of between $10 million and $15 million.
Jay-Z nominated for Dad of the Year prize
New fathers Jay-Z and Jack Osbourne will compete against stars including Rod Stewart and Gary Barlow to be named Dad of the Year.
The rap mogul’s wife Beyonce gave birth to Blue Ivy in January, and Osbourne is a month into parenthood with baby Pearl, and both men have been shortlisted for the Premier Inn Celebrity Dad of the Year prize.
Sir Elton John and N-Dubz rapper Dappy have also been tipped for the award, which Mysterious Girl hitmaker Peter Andre was given last year.
Take That star Barlow, whose wife is pregnant with their fourth child, is ecstatic about the nod, linking to a story about the nominations and declaring on his Twitter.com page: “Major breaking news”.
Elton John hospitalised with “serious respiratory infection”
British singer Sir Elton John cancels four shows after being rushed to hospital in Los Angeles due to a “serious respiratory infection”, reports suggest.
The 65-year-old was taken to Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles at around 6am yesterday morning, according to entertainment blog TMZ.
He then underwent tests before being told to rest for seven days by doctors, forcing the cancellation of four concerts which had been scheduled for this weekend as part of his Million Dollar Piano residency at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
Speaking to TMZ, the singer said: “It feels strange not to be able to perform these Million Dollar Piano concerts at the Colosseum. I love performing the show and I will be thrilled when we return to the Colosseum in October to complete the 11 concerts.
“All I can say to the fans is ’sorry I can’t be with you’,” he added.
It is now thought that Sir Elton has been discharged and is recuperating at home.
This is the second time this year that the singer-songwriter has been forced to cancel concerts â in February, he abandoned two concerts at Caesars Palace after becoming ill with food poisoning.
Sir Elton â who was born Reginald Kenneth Dwight â is one of the most recognisable faces in music, having had a pop career spanning 45 years, selling more than 250 million records worldwide in the process.
His bestselling single, Candle In The Wind 1997, sold 33 million copies alone, after he rewrote the lyrics from his 1974 original to make the song a tribute to the then recently departed Princess Diana.
He is due to release his 31st solo studio album, The Diving Board, next year.
A Taylor-made butterfly! Singer Swift enjoys an evening of face-painting with the girls
She regularly appears on stage with lyrics scrawled over her arms.
So last night provided a bit of a departure for Taylor Swift who enjoyed a girly night of face-painting with friends.
The 22-year-old singer posted a photograph of herself sporting an impressive blue and black butterfly over her cheek and forehead.
‘Evidently, it was ‘face paint Wednesday’ last night,’ she wrote, before posting the photograph.
‘@ashavignone drew a unicorn on @ClaireWinter’s face. Impressed,’ she added.
The Instagram picture also showed an array of face paints and brushes, along with Taylor’s friends also sporting painted faces of designs including a unicorn, flowers and hearts.
Taylor then posted a photograph of herself with a painted face, while she played with her cat.
‘Eye contact, important,’ she wrote.
The young singer songwriter found herself in the spotlight on Sunday when she collected a Billboard award for Woman of the Year.